Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The perfect emacs environment.

Really what I mean is the perfect *terminal* environment, which is also my environment for edited.

Years ago I made a pretty good one, but emacs has grown (v 24) and so have I. So it's time to make something great and make sure to save it.

Here is what I want:

I want emacs to replace: (In short)
My terminal - including using programs like htop and other curses programs.
Tmux - I want all the functionality tmux has, and I think with the right add ons I can get it.
Ssh/ftp - I want emacs to be able (using TRAMP and such) to seamlessly connect and work with my home server and other servers without having to leave my home terminal. And if I need to, have *that* terminal run in emacs.
emacs - Basically this means I want emacs itself to be to the best of it's potential.
My irc client - ERC is great and I don't see why emacs can't fully be used.
Google talk chat - This is a maybe, I have tried this on emacs and enjoyed it a lot, so it will be considered.

What I don't want emacs to replace.

My browser - While good for kicks, w3m-emacs or anything else I've seen doesn't cut it compared to Chrome. Plus I plan to use this in Guake while I view whatever I need to do.
My GUI - I want to live a life with a GUI and a terminal, I am not picking only one.
My operating system - Maybe one day I will mess around with LFS and make a emacs-based OS (with elpa as a package manager) but not yet.

To elaborate, I want these things:
  • Emacs to be able to be detached without closing.
  • Emacs to return to it's old window state when reattaching.
  • Be able to save and switch window configurations like tmux. 
I will return when I have something, bye! 


No comments:

Post a Comment